Are you a strong character and resilient person, who’s looking for a challenging career with purpose? Are you passionate about making a positive difference to young people aged 16-17?
If you are, Moxie would love to speak to you about a Youth Support Assistant role available in Porthcawl on a permanent basis.
Joining this supportive and family friendly charity, you’ll play a role in helping end homelessness for young people in Wales.
Why we think you’d like this role…
- Diversity – work with young people from all walks of life, in a role where no two days will be the same.
- A career with purpose – a chance to provide life changing support and help young people set themselves up for a brighter future.
- Training opportunities – you’ll have access to an extensive online training platform, as well as the chance to enrol on specific training in substance misuse, housing law, ACEs etc
- Job progression – join an employer that is passionate about helping their staff progress, proven having promoted their current Head of Service and Operations Director from Support Assistant and Support Worker.
- Broaden your skills and experience – access opportunities to diversify your skills and widen your experience across a range of the charity’s projects including domestic violence service, floating support, employment support, training and skills tutoring
- Be part of a bigger mission – join a charity passionate about thinking creatively to end homelessness and who are moving upstream towards early intervention and homeless prevention.
- A charity that cares about its people – you’ll benefit from a 10% employer pension contribution and free access to an internal wellbeing and counselling team
What will be expected of you…
- Working in a team of 15 staff, you’ll work together to manage a 9-bed mixed property in Porthcawl, that is a temporary home for young people (16-17) who’ve had a difficult start in life.
- Develop skills and experience in supporting people who have experienced trauma at a young age and who face complex challenges around mental health.
- You’ll play an active role in supporting and encouraging individuals to develop independent life skills, engage with both employment and education, and motivating them to achieve their personal goals.
- You’ll have the opportunity to test and enhance your communication skills, by building trust and relationships with young residents who are often difficult to engage.
- You will have the ambition and drive to work towards further development, learning and taking in all aspects of the role, while supporting individuals with passion for making a difference.
- You’ll regularly carry out lone working and feel comfortable doing so, working on-call when required.
- Working with residents to keep them engaged, carrying out a range of activities that will help to build their confidence and encourage them to thrive. Activities could include but aren’t limited to cooking classes, movie nights, arts, and crafts.
- Working closely with the Support Worker, you’ll learn how to prepare a person-centred support plan.
- You’ll work proactively to empower young people to develop the skills, self-esteem and confidence to engage in employment or education, and when ready, move into their own property.
- You’ll be on hand to offer day-to-day emotional and practical support to motivate and empower young people to gain independence and reach their full potential.
Support Assistant role details:
- Location: Porthcawl (easily accessible by bus links)
- Salary: £20,500 per annum
- Hours: 2 x 24-hour sleep-in shifts per week (3 week rolling rota - Week 1: Tues & Sat / Week 2: Mon & Thurs / Week 3: Wed & Sun. 9:30am - 11:30am – Sleep-in – 9:45am)
What do you need to be considered for this Youth Support Assistant role?
- A strong character, with the ability to remain calm in challenging and sometimes confrontational situations
- A flexible approach to work and prepared to work on a rota including weekdays, weekends, and sleep-in shifts
- The ability and skills to engage and build strong professional relationships with young people and support them to become the best version of themselves
- An understanding of the impact that homelessness, family breakdown, domestic abuse and trauma can have on people and their behaviour
- The passion to give every young person the opportunity to take control of their lives, despite their past and the resilience to never give up on them
- A demonstratable understanding of why professional boundaries is important in support work
If you’re ready for a role with purpose, and this Youth Support Assistant role ticks the right boxes, please submit an up-to-date CV via the application link.
We love to chat, so to find out more about this awesome charity or the other support opportunities Moxie are recruiting for, please call Rich Thomas on 02921602111.